I’ve been pondering this question for some days now and think I’ll use it for my TMA01. I’m not so convinced every institution is uses VLEs as intended. Moreso, I believe some are used as glorified and very expensive document systems.
I also feel some institutions believe they should “be seen” to have VLEs but in reality, manage quite well without. After all, students go to university for face-to-face teaching, not spending hours in front of a screen in semi isolation surely?
‘Who’ in fact, are institutions keeping happy by having VLEs?
Yes, there are many questions here, and I expect to touch on many, but to begin with, my focus will be HOW institutions are using VLEs. The five papers I’ve chosen for this research question is listed here:
- 2008 Survey of Technology Enhanced Learning for higher education in the UK
- ‘Disruptive technologies’, ‘pedagogical innovation’: What’s new Findings from an in-depth study of students’ use and perception of technology.
- The development of technology enhanced learning: findings from a 2008 survey of UK higher education institutions
- Effective Practice in a Digital Age – JISC
- Death of the VLE?: a challenge to a new orthodoxy